Annual Mushroom Show
at Cordova Bay 55+ Center
5238 Cordova Bay Rd.
MUSHROOM SHOW POSTER
October 23rd 10 am - 4 pm
There have been some notable changes.
NEW LOCATION - There will be lots of space and parking available.
SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS on the day of the show:
The mushroom collection drop off time on Saturday October 22nd is from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- 11:00 am Responsible Mushroom Harvesting, by Stephanie Hurst
- 11:45 am Look Ma, No Gills, by Kem Luther
- 12:30 pm Mycorrhizae, by Andy MacKinnon
- 1:15 pm Mushroom Cultivation, by Scott Henderson
- 2:30 pm Medicinal Mushrooms, by Juliet Pendray
Mushroom growing kits will be available (cash only).
Our new calendars will be available for purchase.
Various mushroom books will be sold.
Members are encouraged to participate in the following ways:
- Collect specimens for the show by extracting the whole fungus; use a knife to dig out the base of the stem. Preferably collect more than one specimen per collection to document stages of development. Wrap all specimens in each collection in waxed paper to preserve features and keep them separate. If possible, include with each collection the following information: name of person collecting the specimen, location of collection, habitat information such as whether it was on the ground or on a log, branch, etc., and the tree species associated.
- Bring in specimens on Saturday October 22nd from 11:00 am - 5:00 pm to the Cordova Bay 55+ Center, 5238 Cordova Bay Road, for sorting and identification by our experts.
- Also at the event, mushrooms samples will be cooked so please bring your favorite clean edibles to donate to this culinary effort.
- If you are willing to volunteer during the show, there are lots of opportunities and you do not need to be a mushroom expert, e.g. providing parking guidance when the front lot gets full, directing people to where they can get their mushrooms identified, helping get people to presentations, and lots more. Please let us know at Ben Hircock
- Stay after the show closes at 4 pm on Sunday to help clean up.
- Volunteers please park in the lot on the south side of the building, accessible by turning from Cordova Bay Road onto Walema Avenue and then north on Sapphire Road.
- We are encouraging all members to bring friends and family to enjoy this amazing event. Please share this information widely.
- If you have any additional questions about the event please forward them to Ben Hircock